Sunday, August 16, 2009

This week, I am starting a Masters in Pastoral Theology program at Ave Maria University. I will be spending every fourth weekend in class from now until May. It will take three years to complete. Why am I doing this? Heaven knows. I feel called to do this. I feel this is the best and highest thing I can do to serve my Lord at this time in my life.

There are many reasons I am doubting my sanity for doing this. I feel somewhat overwhelmed at how much work is involved. Can you really teach an old dog new tricks? I've been out of college since 1975. I have never taken formal theology classes at the university level before. I've never studied while working full time before. I can't think of a really good use for what I will study. It's expensive. Yet I have been resisting the call to do this for five years. I keep hearing the call, so how can I say no? My excuses are weak compared to my desire to follow God's will in my life. He keeps telling me to trust him. He will help me. He will explain later. Who am I to argue with that?

I pray that the Holy Spirit will fill me with wisdom as he did Mary, so that the Word of God will grow within me. May I have the courage to say, "Nothing is impossible with God. Do whatever he tells you. Not my will, but yours be done."

No comments: